Leaving New York was difficult, but one positive thing was that U of T would pay for our move. I could hire movers! What a relief since moving is such a pain and I’d never splurged for professional movers before. We ended up hiring a company recommended by the university. I quickly learned that long distance moves work much differently than in-town moves. They load up your things one day and then they wait to fill a full semi-truck in route to your destination (I suppose they’ve figured this to be the best use of their resources). They commit to deliver your things to your new location within 3 to 21 days (varies slightly depending on the moving company). What?! 3 to 21 days! What kind of range is that? Eventually I got used to the idea and just figured it was the only option. So the next thing to plan was what to take with us in the car that we would need while waiting for our things to arrive, but it couldn’t REALLY take 21 days could it? Well, actually it can even take longer!
Sparing you the details we actually moved things from both MN and NYC, and at the end of the day here is what each move looked like:
- Day 0: Movers come (took over 6 hours to pack our 380 sq. ft. NYC apartment & they ripped siding of the house in MN).
- Day 1: We drive to Toronto with our car loaded with necessities.
- Day 21: Last committed day for our things to arrive, but they don’t.
- Day 25: The driver arrives with our things so we drive out to clear customs.
- Total Cost: $3,600 USD
- 25 days without our things
Some of the things to keep in mind with a full-service mover: (1) The moving company will provide you with a list of goods they are moving for you; you need to have this list of your goods when you arrive in Canada. (2) The moving company can be a resource for you regarding customs regulations. (3) You will need to meet the driver to clear your things through customs on the day they arrive in Canada if moving from another country; this is about 30 minutes outside of Toronto. Overall, I wouldn’t recommend the full service moving company approach. It is hard enough to move to a new country and not know anyone, but to not be able to get settled was the toughest thing for me. But is there an alternative?! I haven’t found a full service moving company that seems like a true alternative, but if I had to do it over again here’s what I would have done:
- Rent a U-Haul
- Hire people to pack and load in NYC
- Drive U-Haul to Toronto
- Hire people to unload in Toronto
- Estimated cost: $2,000 USD
- Plus your things arrive with you!!!
Hi Katie, came across this blog, didn't realize I knew the blogger! Love the blog, keep up the great work. If I know anyone moving to Canada, I would definitely recommend this. I was without my stuff for about 2 weeks when I moved, I did the same thing you did. It was nice meeting you the other day.
ReplyDeleteWempie
Hi Wempie! So great to meet you on Saturday and such a small world. Hoping we can get together some other time.
ReplyDeleteI'm very interested in your experiences moving here to Canada especially after your move to the US - I bet you have some great perspectives that others would love to hear about!
Katie
After reading some of your blogs, it's just so funny how similar our experiences were! Glad you're branching out to other stuff as well, would love to try some of the restaurants that you went to. Just saw your today's blog as well, I've been wanting to go to AGO on a Wednesday forever, but I guess it's just my luck living in the suburb :)
ReplyDeleteWempie
I guess it is good that our experiences were similar so hopefully others may find the posts helpful as they are getting settled here. I know I learned a lot from my experiences.
ReplyDeleteI'm definitely behind in some of the exploring posts (restaurants, attractions, etc) but the nice thing is there is a lot to do here and great restaurants to try!
What about trying the ROM on a Friday? It isn't free, but half-price and goes til 8:30. You can make it in from the burbs for that, no? :)
Definitely. I'll try to add a thing or two and share my experience on your posts as well.
ReplyDeleteHey, ROM sounds great, hope you didn't mean to go last night, coz I totally missed it. We should definitely get together for that. I'll look for you on FB.
Wempie
Oh, Gosh! Thanks a lot for your post! I am deciding how to move to Canada. I have reserved a moving company and they promise that my stuffs will be in Toronto within a week. I am not sure whether I can trust them since I read other posts about the company's delay as well. -Susan
ReplyDeleteHi Susan,
ReplyDeleteThanks for your comment. I don't know for sure how each company works, it seems if they told you one week, they should meet that. Our company told us 7 - 21 days which is a really big range and they didn't even make that. After our experience, I definitely would do it differently next time. Let us know what you end up doing and how it works out, and if I can offer any additional insight, shoot me an email. Best of luck!!