A lot of people told us Toronto would be just like New York, except cleaner. It isn’t. In fact, I don’t even understand what people mean when they say that because New York is actually very clean (ok compared to suburban Minnesota I see what you’re saying – but understanding what 8 million people create it is very clean), and my personal opinion is that NYC feels cleaner than Toronto. Cleanliness aside, Toronto has some similarities to New York but many differences as well. Toronto is a lot smaller than NYC (2.5 million vs. 8.4 million), the public transportation system isn’t as extensive, and it is generally colder (around 6 degrees F cooler than NYC depending on time of year). However NYC does seem like the best US city to compare it to considering it is the largest city in Canada and the financial and fashion (sorry Montreal) capital of the country.
A lot of people also told us that Toronto is a wonderful city. Now this I can understand. I’ve been learning more and more about the city, and while it isn’t NYC or any other city for that matter below are some of my favorite comparisons to NYC that make Toronto great in its own right – and some things that are different about Toronto that also make it great.
- Diversity: Both cities are very diverse, and you can hear tons of different languages being spoken as you walk down the street. Both have communities of every culture, religion, sexual orientation. Toronto may be even more culturally diverse than New York?! Try this link: http://www.toronto.ca/toronto_facts/diversity.htm
- City Layout: Both cities are a collection of neighborhoods which all offer something different so there is somewhere for everyone. And if you think Hell’s Kitchen is an interesting name – try Cabbagetown! (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cabbagetown,_Toronto)
- Ease of Meeting People: Many people who live in NYC or Toronto are not from NYC or Toronto. This seemed to facilitate meeting people when I lived in NYC, and my limited experience in Toronto seems to indicate it will also be an easy city to meet people in.
- Access to Water: Toronto and New York are both on large bodies of water – I don’t know if you can compare a great lake to the ocean, but at least there is water and with that boats, beaches, and fish!
- Restaurants: In my limited experience I’d say that New York has more great restaurants, which is to be expected considering the size and density differences of the cities. But, Toronto has many excellent restaurants – some that would definitely compete with my favorite NYC restaurants. More on these in later posts.
- Pests: NYC has cockroaches; TO has racoons.
- Traffic: Terrible in both!
- You can buy a home downtown – an actual house. The closest thing I could compare this to is Chicago (prices could be another topic).
- Gay marriage is legal.
- There is a country music station!
I think the take home message is to embrace it for what it is and not caught up in what it isn’t. I suppose that is a good thing to do whenever you move somewhere new.
No comments:
Post a Comment