Thursday, December 2, 2010

Holiday Preparations in Toronto

Our 1st Tree in 5 Years!  All lit up!
We got our first Christmas tree in 5 years last night!  I'm very excited that we have enough space to fit one since we didn't in NYC.  Living space is a definite benefit of moving to Toronto.

I'm still not positive where the best places are to buy a tree in Toronto.  In NYC, there is a person selling them on what feels like every corner so you can't possibly miss it.  Here I saw the Metro by us carried some and found out that Home Depot did too, but you always hear about how those die so early.  Then, we found a lot behind a church by Bloor and Markham, and that is where we got our tree.  We ended up with a fraser fir which is kind of special - it has scoliosis like me!  But I like it!  They cost $8/foot, which seemed reasonable to me.
 
We needed a stand (ours got left/lost back in MN when we moved to NYC) and some lights so we stopped at Home Depot.  But, everything was really picked over, AND they were out of lights altogether!  I guess this is the issue since Torontonians start preparing for Christmas after Halloween - we're a bit late in the game.  So, I went to Shoppers and paid $12.99 for each set of 200 lights while I just saw them for $3.99 at Walgreen's in Chicago last weekend for the same amount of lights.  While we know Canada is expensive, this seems like a huge difference - perhaps it goes back to my post that Shoppers is just expensive?  I'll let you know if I get a concrete number to compare it to from another place here in Toronto.  We're going to finish decorating the tree and the rest of the apartment tonight!

No comments:

Post a Comment