Monday, December 6, 2010

My First Caesar

My First Caesar
It looks like a normal Bloody Mary, right?!  Well, it is actually a Caesar, but that is why I decided to go for it (well and a friend reassured me I wouldn't be able to taste the clam juice).  I've been disappointed since we moved to Toronto that I can't seem to find a good Bloody Mary anywhere.  When I order one, I get plain tomato juice with vodka, and if I'm lucky a bit of spice.  But, what I want is the Bloody so popular at every brunch spot in NYC- spicy, a little horseradish, maybe Worcestershire, some celery salt, pickles, olives, and celery (am I asking for too much?)!  Yet I see people ordering Caesars everywhere I go, and they look fantastic.  But, clam juice, really?!  


So, we went to brunch at Le Select Bistro on Wellington Street.  Le Select is a fabulous bistro - almost like Pastis in NYC or L'express in Montreal with a great French bistro atmosphere and tasty food.  Then there is the Caesar, which I thought was fantastic and tasted just like the Bloody Mary of my dreams.  I couldn't taste any clam juice at all - it seems to just give the drink a little bit of flavor like horseradish.  I'm so happy that I can now enjoy living in Toronto without a chip on my shoulder about the fact that I can't get a good Bloody Mary - I just know to order a Caesar instead of a Bloody.

I've only been to Le Select for brunch, but we all enjoyed the food.  The portions are not very big so if you're a big eater, you could be disappointed and on top of that the prices are fairly high.  They have a small parking lot behind the restaurant or plenty of parking on the street so it is a good spot if you're driving to the city.  When the weather is nice, they have a large patio out front.  Despite the small portion to price ratio I really enjoyed it.  Give it a try, and while you're at it, enjoy a Caesar.

1 comment: