Thursday, January 27, 2011

Exploring TO: Art Gallery of Ontario

Northwest corner of AGO
Last night was officially my first visit to a Toronto museum.  I know what you're thinking, how could I have been here almost 6 months and not made it to the Bata Shoe Museum yet?  Crazy I know - but since I can't figure out why there even is a shoe museum, I haven't made it a priority.  But, last night I went to the Art Gallery of Ontario!  On Wednesdays admission is free (normally $20) so decided to check it out.

I got there a few minutes before 6pm, and there was a huge line to get in.  I was concerned that it might take all night, but at 6 they just let everyone in so I didn't have to wait long.  With the free admission, you can't see the special exhibits which was ok for my first time since I hadn't seen anything at all.  We just browsed through the museum for a couple of hours trying to get a feel for what was there until we got hungry. 

Entrance & start of line
It is an interesting mix of art.  There is quite a bit of Canadian art to explore, which was interesting particularly David Milne as there is a lot of information on his artistic process which I found fascinating.  My favorite thing actually was the exhibition of the Grange Prize in photography.  The work is all phenomenal - particularly this year's winner Kristan Horton.

The building itself is pretty unique, and it looks like much of it has a glass roof - unfortunately it is covered by snow right now so we couldn't enjoy it.  I'll definitely be back to browse through more of the museum.  I thought it was a great thing to do on a Wednesday night for free!  My one complaint - I really struggled with the map to figure out where I was and what I was looking at - it seems like it should be easy but I didn't think so!  Check it out!

1 comment:

  1. I just found out that this is a Frank Gehry building! Interesting!

    ReplyDelete