There is a store on Bloor and Bathurst called Honest Ed's. I've never seen anything like it. I often feel like I've happened upon Times Square if I drive by it at night as it literally lights the neighborhood. It is a humongous superstore, a predecessor to Wal-Mart I would say, known for the original & quirky sayings of its founder, great deals, and a no-frills shopping experience.
It was started by Ed Mirvish over 62 years ago. The area of town surrounding it is called Mirvish Village named after Mr. Mirvish, and there are several neat restaurants and shops right next store on Markham street. Honest Ed's is made-up of two huge warehouse-type buildings connected by a sky way over an alley, and it is filled to the brim with deals from housewares, to sundries, to hardware, to clothing. The store carries a ton of stuff, but you never know exactly what it will have on a given day as they get certain deals in that only last until they are gone. The store winds up and down and around, and though I've been there a few times now, I still don't really know my way around. It is somewhere I take people when they are visiting to check it out because it is so incredibly unique, but it is too big and cluttered for me to shop their regularly. Although we did buy a couple of things there - Matt found a tape measure for 99 cents, a casual coat, an electric teapot, and I bought 8 gallon garbage bags because I couldn't find them at shoppers. We almost bought a sparkly, gold bust of Elvis - would make a great gag gift for my Dad - maybe next year!
Honest Ed's is a place where people wait in line to get in for the door busters every morning, a place where you can get a down jacket for $10, a place that has been a staple in Toronto for over 60 years, and a place that is a "must-see" for anyone living in or visiting Toronto. Check it out for the deals or just for fun!

No comments:
Post a Comment