Thursday, February 10, 2011

Architecture in Toronto



Right in center of city - on Queen St.

Outside City Hall with modern skyscraper behind
Who thought this was a good idea?
ROM - mix of modern & historic
Melting pot - I think that is the best description of the architecture in Toronto.  Here you'll find many beautiful historical buildings, most of which are in fantastic shape, stashed throughout the city.  Then you'll also find slugs of concrete, evidence of the boom of growth in Toronto of the 60s and 70s.  City Hall and the library at U of T are perfect examples of this.  They don't look so bad on a sunny day, but man are they dreary on a gray winter day!  Of course there is also your fair share of new and modern buildings especially skyscrapers and condos!  But most uniquely, you'll find a hybrid of historical buildings mixed with a modern flare - in a way I've never seen before.  They literally build modern parts coming out of or around the old structure.  Take a look at the photo of the Royal Ontario Museum, I think this is the best example of the type of hybrid architecture but there are examples of it elsewhere like at U of T.  I appreciate that they aren't demolishing the historical buildings and have come up with a unique way to modernize the city, though this style takes a bit of getting used to.  

There is no one way to classify the architecture here so you're in for a treat when you start exploring!

2 comments:

  1. I must agree there some beautiful historic buildings. I do not agree that there is no one way to classify the architecture in TO. The style here in TO is known as the Confused Style.

    ReplyDelete