Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Exploring TO - Sports: Toronto FC

We went to see the Toronto FC play the San Jose Earthquakes at Bank of Montreal Field (BMO – pronounced “bee – mo”) right when I first started writing the blog.  It didn’t feel like it fit in on those first couple posts, but I wanted to comment on it before their season is over.  The last game is this weekend though the season started at the end of March.  It’s a good thing it is ending soon, because it can get cold in Toronto now (imagine March, ouch!) - even when we went to the game a few weeks back,  it was uncomfortably cold.  Our seats were in the second row from the top of the lower level so the wind was strong (don't worry they sell scarves and there is a lot of beer!).
 

Toronto FC was the first Canadian team in the MLS, and started playing in 2007.  The team seems very popular here, and I’ve been told that they’ve sold out every home match since their inception with a waiting list of 14,000.  BMO Field holds 21,800 people and they average 20,195 in attendance at each game since they started (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toronto_FC).  We got our tickets off StubHub for about $60 each (presumably from season ticket holders who didn't want to brave the forecast or maybe the fact that the team wasn't likely to be playoff bound).  The stadium is located in Exhibition Place on Lake Ontario so if your seats are up high enough in the stadium, you have a great view of the lake.  One thing I found that was interesting are these field-side tables where it looks like you can sit and eat/drink and watch the game.  They are outside so I don’t know if they are for VIPs or what?  I'll have to find out more next season.

We had a great time at the game, though TFC (also called The Reds sometimes) ended up losing 2-3.  The crowd is definitely different than the crowd at the baseball game.  It was much rowdier (especially section 113 who make their presence known), and the fans were much better drinkers.  PLUS, they sell Strongbow cider and use those nifty beer cups with lids (which are compostable - did I mention that?!).  Martha the “beer lady” brought beer to everyone in our section, and knew everything about MLS and TFC (wish I had a pic.).  Since last call is at 70 minutes into the match she was racing to get everyone a beer before time ran out, and she succeeded!  It is definitely worth experiencing if you've just moved to Toronto or just haven't gotten to a game yet.

No comments:

Post a Comment