Wednesday, October 6, 2010

French (and English) Connection

Canada has two official languages – French and English.  However, in Ontario the defacto official language is English.  The only significant time I spent in Canada prior to moving here was in Montreal.  From my limited exposure I thought Toronto, though English speaking, would be significantly influenced by French.  I haven't found that.  Living in Toronto you'll be aware of the French influence, but English is the main language used.  All signs and laws will be posted and official announcements made in both languages.  Almost anything you buy at the store will be labeled in both English and French (from my former life I can tell you this is a pain for consumer products companies!).   

But, as I mentioned in my second post, you hear many languages being spoken in Toronto, and I don’t think French stands out any more than any other language.  There are towns outside of Toronto which have a larger French influence than Toronto.  For me, I've enjoyed the exposure to French, but for now I think if Toronto had a stronger French culture, I'd just feel like more of an outcast.  Is it bad that I’ve chosen to fly Continental instead of Air Canada so I don’t have to hear them make announcements in both languages (well that and Air Canada won't let you use your cell phone until you are off the plane)? 

No comments:

Post a Comment