I`m happy to say that for me this process was painless. First, find a local Service Canada location online, and make sure to bring your application and proper supporting documentation with you. I had to wait about 20 minutes to meet with an agent, and the application process took about 15 minutes. Although painless, I did have to bring my marriage license (see post on Work Permits). When you leave, they will give you a letter that lists your number and you can use this right away. A card will be mailed to you in a few weeks. If you are here on a work permit, you will have to update your number when you renew your work permit or obtain permanent residence status. Now you can focus on the next task!
Tuesday, October 5, 2010
First Things First - SIN
One of the first things (in a pretty long list of things that I`ll write about in upcoming posts) you need to do when you arrive here is get your Social Insurance Number (SIN). The SIN is the equivalent of the Social Security number in the US. It is a nine-digit number you need in order to work in Canada or have access to government programs and benefits. If you are moving here for an employer, I’m sure they will insist that you get it quickly because they will need it. If not, you still don’t want to put this off – I needed it in order to get a cell phone here in Canada (Note: Service Canada says this should not be required by the cell phone company so feel free to push back if they ask for it. However, I didn`t have a local ID yet so this was something to show I would be living in Canada).
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment