![]() |
| Look at those Ontario plates! |
In order to register the car we needed four things: proof of insurance, original title, and proof of passing safety and emissions tests.
- Proof of Insurance: We got car insurance through State Farm. Your company will know the requirements but be sure you are covered for the Ontario requirements. Ours was also a little tricky because we did not have Ontario driver licenses yet which seemed to really confuse State Farm.
- Emissions Test: We had this done at Canadian Tire. The emissions test cost $35, and the car passed the first time.
- Safety Test: For the safety test, they look at many things including brakes, tires, lights, windshield – on and on. The safety test cost $100 at Canadian Tire (I've heard you can get it for less elsewhere), and unfortunately we didn’t fare quite as well on this one. We have side lights on our car and one was not working. I’m not sure what purpose these lights serve, but for whatever reason we had to have it fixed. I was hoping it was just a bulb, but it wasn’t that simple. Also, we had a chip in the windshield. They don’t allow any chips or cracks – so again to the dealer to hopefully have the chip filled, but unfortunately we ended up needing a new windshield. We had 8 days (I think) to get the repairs done or would have had to pay for a whole new safety test. Once the repairs were complete, Canadian Tire certified our car, and we had 28 days to get the car registered before the certificate became invalid.
- Original Title: This shouldn’t be an issue for most people, but we bought the car about 5 weeks before we moved from my sister and brother-in-law so we were still waiting for the official title to arrive (and as luck would have it MN was running behind in issuing titles) as the 45 day deadline approached. But, we received it just in time.
Once we had all of our documentation, we took it to Service Ontario. After waiting our turn, we paid $20 for plates, $74 for registration, and since we live in Toronto proper another $60 personal vehicle tax (note with the new mayor this fee has gone away and we got a refund of this amount of money) - and we left there with plates that are finally on our car! The whole process felt like another bureaucratic run-around for the government to make money (by fees) and support the local economy (tests and needless repairs). At least we are set now(until we become permanent residents)!

Thank you for such an informational post. I don't know why insurance is being made mandatory for this purpose. It should be left to the people to opt for it or not.
ReplyDeleteHello,
ReplyDeleteThank you for this wonderful resource. My partner is orginally from Toronto and we plan on moving back up there from Arizona in about two years. When my partner moved down to Phoenix, AZ about seven years ago them made him do vehicle testing and registration in Arizona of course. A big issue for his car he was bringing into the US was the speedometer and odometer. Both needed to be in miles, but were in kilometers. He ended up brining his car back to ON since it was going to cost him $4000-5000 to have his dash board ripped out and changed over.
We were thinking about downsizing to one vehicle from two down here before our move up to Toronto. We've been trying to find out if we purchase a car here in the US and the speedometer and odometer are in miles does that create a registration issue in Canada since it's in Kilometers. Most cars show both speeds on their dash boards, but usually don't show both in regards to odometer readings. Do you know anything about this issue? Thanks! mike.duhame@hotmail.com
This is one of the best posts that I’ve ever seen; you may include some more ideas in the same theme. I’m still waiting for some interesting thoughts from your side in your next post.
ReplyDeleteSo here's another good one from Ontario Registries. If you own a pickup truck that has not been registered in Ontario before you need to give the vehicle weight to the registries. They do NOT accept the weight from the sticker on the door,from the owners manual,dealer or from the web. You have to take the vehicle to a weigh scale and submit the weigh in ticket to the registries! A new vehicle does not require this as the dealer supplies the info. Where does he get it from? The sticker on the door gives the legal weights allowed for loads and towing, does the weigh scale! There is nowhere in the Service Ontario system that I can find this requirement other than driving to the Registries and waiting in line for who knows how long. Of course there is a charge at the scales for this. Imagine that.
ReplyDeleteThe fees in Ontario are completely unrelated to the services. They jack up the fees to provide government revenue for other things. You can expect the fees to continue to rise with the 16 billion dollar Ontario deficit. Welcome to Canada.
ReplyDeleteHello!
ReplyDeleteThank you so much for this blog. My husband and I recently moved from Winnipeg, Manitoba (the province west of Ontario) and believe it or not, we feel like we have moved to another country. EVERYTHING is different here and we have referenced your blog a lot for pointers!
So thanks so much! Today I am registering our vehicle....so this should be an adventure haha.
You can know the way to register your car in Ontario with help of the post here. Useful post
ReplyDeleteThank you so much for this information. I am currently grappling with the same issue. I just have a quick question. I was told by the US customs folks that I need to export the vehicle out of the US. Is that true?
ReplyDeleteVery helpful.
ReplyDeleteVery interesting article. I have an old junk car sitting in my driveway and I'm still paying insurance for it! I can't cancel the insurance! ridiculous
ReplyDeletecash for old cars Toronto
Registering a car can be frustrating, especially if you don’t know the process. Lucky, my car dealer helped me out on my registration. He had given me all the details that I need to know. Plus, the car I purchased passed the MOT on its first test.
ReplyDeleteThe content was really very interesting. I am really thankful to you for providing this unique information. Please keep sharing more and more information...... Junk cars
ReplyDeletethanks for posting this informationMovers Ontario
ReplyDeleteI am glad to find your impressive way of writing the post. Now it's become easy for me to understand and implement the concept. Thanks for sharing the post.movers ontario
ReplyDeleteGreat lists of moving tips! Your blog is very informative.This is obviously one great post. Check websites for this services that fits our need. http://bedwellvanlines.com/
ReplyDelete