Friday, October 29, 2010

Ontario Driver License

When you move to Toronto, you're going to want to get a driver license if you plan to drive, and it can also be a source of Canadian ID with proof of address (which is useful when getting things like a cell phone).  In theory if you've had a license in a state in the US (or Canadian province or one of several other countries) for at least two years, getting a driver license in Ontario shouldn't be difficult.  You need to provide proof of name, date of birth, and signature (check here to see what documents can be used), proof of address, and proof of a two year driving history.  If your license is at least 2 years old and still valid, that would be enough proof of the 2 years.  In most cases you'll need to turn over your current license.


Unfortunately for me, my NY license expired on my birthday in June so I had just gotten a new one.  Therefore the date of issuance of did not prove I had been driving for at least two years, and Ontario does not have access to the New York system.  If you are in this or a similar situation, I highly recommend taking care of this with your particular state before you move (if not you could be in the situation I mention in the last paragraph).  New York is particularly tricky because the state does not retain the date that you first got a license in the state. In an attempt to get proof of this date, I had requested a driving abstract from New York State (NYS), but it turns out they do not put the date of issuance on that.  The people at Service Ontario gave me a phone number in New York that could help me, but when I called I was told that NYS doesn't provide that information and my only course of action was to submit a Freedom of Information Law (FOIL) request for that information.  So I did that.  It took about 5 weeks or so, but they sent me some information.

Thinking I had everything I could possibly need, I took our lease (proof of address), my passport (proof of date of birth & signature), my marriage license (proof of name change amended in my passport), my NYS license (to prove a valid license and turn it over to the province), and the information from NYS FOIL (proof of 2 years of driving) down to Service Ontario.  They were VERY reluctant to take the documentation that NYS had sent for proof of the date I got my first license in NY but eventually they agreed to take it.  Thank goodness!!!  The license cost $75.

If you are moving from a country not included in the link above, don't have a license, or haven't been driving for at least two years, check out the Ministry of Transportation website for what you need to do to get your license - you may have to take a tests or get a provisional license for awhile.  Good luck!

2 comments:

  1. What a nice article! My PA license will be expired in May and I am trying to renew it today. Now I know I need to be careful with this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm not sure what information the PA license or abstract contains, but definitely something to be aware of if you intend to get an Ontario license. Let me know if you have any questions about the move or the area.

    ReplyDelete