Thursday, October 28, 2010

TO Restaurants: The Harbord Room

As I mentioned on Monday, we decided to celebrate the beautiful fall day with dinner at The Harbord Room.  It is a very small space, and since I still haven't adjusted to having to make dinner reservations, we usually can't get in when we try.  On Monday they didn't have a table available but had plenty of room at the bar so we took it.  What I love about The Harbord Room is that they create the perfect combination of atmosphere plus fantastic fresh, seasonal, local food, good wine, and great cocktails.

This last time, we started with a few cocktails.  A great old fashioned, and a unique one with Campari, Cointreau, orange juice, lemon sour, soda water, and a brandy float.  It was really good.  Then we shared the pan-seared Lake Huron pickerel with hazelnuts, cauliflower and spinach, the risotto made with squash, kale, nuts, and topped with fresh sheep's milk cheese as well the roasted brussel sprouts and beets side.  I mean if you can have brussel sprouts and kale in the same meal, does it get any better?!  All of the food was perfectly cooked and flavorful, and we enjoyed it with a glass of local (Flat Rock) pinot noir.  I was pleasantly surprised with how much I liked the Niagara wine - can't wait to go on a wine tasting weekend.

It was a bit extravagant for a Monday night, but prices are comparable to similar restaurants in Toronto and New York.  The kitchen is open late serving food until midnight on the weekends which is nice, and not that common in our neighborhood.  In the summer they have a great patio which provides much more space, but I haven't had the chance to sit there yet.  So far, I'd have to say that The Harbord Room may be my favorite restaurant because they just master the whole experience.

No comments:

Post a Comment