Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Applying for Ontario Health Insurance (OHIP)

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaah, the joys of socialized health care!  Don't worry, this post is just about the process of applying for OHIP, though I'm sure there will be plenty to comment on regarding health care in Canada in the future.

Once you move to Ontario and make it your permanent place of residence, you have to wait three months before you'll be covered by OHIP.  You can apply for OHIP during that time so you'll receive your card right when you are eligible, but your eligibility starts 3 months from the date you move.  In that three months, you'll likely want to purchase private insurance in the event something happens before OHIP kicks in.  Here are the other eligibility requirements:  http://www.health.gov.on.ca/en/public/programs/ohip/.  If you are here on an open work permit (not tied to a specific employer), you must have a full-time job and a letter from your employer to qualify.


In order to get your health card, you must apply in person at Service Ontario.  You can schedule an appointment so you don't have to wait in line as long, but the online form doesn't work if you're a new applicant so you'll have to call them.  I tried that once, but I was on hold for at least 20 minutes before talking to a person who was not helpful, so I'm not sure it is worth it.

Here is my experience from applying:
Since I'm here on an open work permit and do not have a full-time job, my eligibility for OHIP is dependent on my husband's job and work permit duration being valid for at least 6 months.  Therefore I needed the following documentation: 
  • My husband's work permit
  • Application form
  • Proof of date I entered the country
  • Proof of address
  • Proof of identity
  • Marriage certificate to prove name
  1. First attempt:  Rejected!  I did not have my marriage certificate to prove that the name on my amended passport was my actual name.  See previous post for more details.
  2. Second attempt: The OHIP system went down so they couldn't process anyone, just my luck.
  3. Third attempt:  Rejected! I was told that I was not eligible since my husband's work permit did not specifically reference me though my work permit specifically references him.  We contacted the university immigration lawyers and they wrote a letter stating that I was in fact eligible and to process my application.
  4. Fourth attempt:  Success!  I brought all of the above documentation as well as the letter from the immigration lawyers, and I was able to complete my application.  They even let you smile for the picture (not for your driver license though - I look like a convict!).
I'd recommend doing your research online before you go to apply, and I also recommend going soon after you move in case you encounter issues like I did and have to go several times.  My husband was able to get his on the first attempt so it isn't always this difficult.  You can also apply while doing other things at Service Ontario like getting a license or registering your car to save trips since there is only one location downtown Toronto, and you only have to wait in line once no matter how many things you need that day (just make sure to ask the person to transfer you).  The card takes about two weeks to arrive, so at a minimum you want to apply by 2 weeks before you're eligible.  You'll need your OHIP number to receive any covered health services.

5 comments:

  1. Sounds like you've had some difficult times while trying to acclimate yourself in Toronto. I tried it once but quickly realized there's no place like home and by that I mean there is no place like America. Just remember if you ever want to leave Canada, America will receive you with open arms (and less government control). Long live freedom!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Definitely a few issues, but it is a good experience for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Katie G
    Thanks for sharing your experience as it may helpmany other people in such a generic situation.
    Yea i too agree that online form in case of OHIP is least helpful and people should better get appointment fixed to save the time in long lines
    again thanks for so well written post

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks so much for your feedback!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Awesome this was so helpful...thank you for sharing

    ReplyDelete