One thing that has been really fun since we moved to Toronto is that they are much more supportive of environmental issues than anywhere I've ever lived. In the Midwest, I knew some people who composted, but here the city collects organic waste separately from trash and recycling so even if you don't/can't compost at home, you can still utilize this waste and keep it out of landfills. It is funny how much we realized that we don't create much garbage after food waste and recycling is removed. We collect food scraps in a container on our counter and bring it out to the "Green Bin" every few days. This is picked up weekly by the city. Trash cans on the street and even in some restaurants have a separate place for recycling and organic waste than trash. Here, they make it easier to do something good for the environment and make you conscious of how you are managing your waste.
Friday, November 12, 2010
Eco-Concious Toronto
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

It's unfortunate the city doesn't have much of a mass transportation system outside of downtown. I think the green citizens of Toronto will utilize it simply because it would be helpful for the environment....and of course avoiding the traffic on the QEW. I almost had road rage the last time I was on it and I wasn't even driving. Fortunately my best friend was there for me.
ReplyDeleteI can relate to that feeling - how about the Gardiner while under construction?!
ReplyDelete