Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Exploring TO - Attractions: CN Tower

The CN Tower is growing on me.  When we first moved here I wasn't too impressed (the fact that it was the tallest free-standing structure until 2007 is interesting though).  We have a pretty good view of the tower (which lights up at night) from our deck, but it doesn't have the same magical feeling as the Eiffel Tower or looking up at the Empire State Building and wondering what the colors mean on a given night.

We visited the CN Tower when my in-laws were in town.  I'm always a fan of seeing a city that you are visiting from above because it gives you a good understanding of the layout and the expanse of the city, and the CN Tower is no different in that respect.  It is just that there really isn't that much to see.  The view of the lake and the Toronto Islands is cool, and you can view from inside or out.  They also do a good job of giving some history and fun facts on the walls of the observation deck.  There is even a glass floor at one point that you can stand on and look down - I couldn't do it, it was too scary!  

You can buy tickets online, and they are good for at least a year.  I'd recommend it as you can then avoid one of the lines, and it will save you time.  We bought our tickets online and still waited about 40 minutes to go up on a Sunday afternoon.  Tickets are expensive - adults are $23 and kids $15 for access to the basic observation deck.  There is a higher deck which costs additional money which we didn't pay for.  The CN Tower also has a restaurant called 360 from which you can view the city.  I've heard that it is overpriced, which I would expect, but buying an entree does give you access to the observation deck (not sure if you need it after you just ate your meal up there?).

While I'm definitely glad I went once, and the night-time view from our deck is growing on me, I'm not sure I'd drag visitors there for the price and lack of interesting views?

No comments:

Post a Comment