St. Lawrence Market is a fantastic place to spend a Saturday in Toronto. The neighborhood around there is cute on its own merit, but then bring in the market and it is worth the trek down. In the north building, there is a farmer's market every Saturday which runs year round and some craft-type vendors around the perimeter. It is similar to the rest of the markets in the city so no need to make it on Saturday just for that. The south building is amazing though! I'm not sure I've been anywhere quite like it - maybe the market in Barcelona? I think my husband would strongly consider moving down to the area just so he could stop there to pick up food to cook every day.
When you walk in the building you are almost overwhelmed with the number of vendors and stalls. We had to walk the whole market before deciding where to buy from. There were at least 4 fish places, same in cheese shops, there were several butchers (one selling kangaroo meat!), several bakeries, a bunch of produce stands, a place for fresh pasta, olives, and a mustard vendor - you name it. Everything looks and smells so good. We went on a Saturday so we got a snack at St. Urbain's bagels, very tasty. The only complaint I have is that it is tough (much tougher than the farmers market) to know where things are coming from and how they were raised. The south market, at least on a Saturday, is too hectic to have a detailed conversation on this with the vendors. It is definitely not exclusively local or organic or anything really. But, the selection is good and the atmosphere is fun. I'd definitely recommend checking it out and doing some shopping if you want or just browse and have a coffee/brunch in the neighborhood.
No comments:
Post a Comment