Monday, November 15, 2010

TV Service in Toronto

We didn't have cable or satellite in NYC, and I didn't miss it at all.  When we moved to Toronto we got a new TV, now that we have more space and spot to hang it on the wall, so we decided it was worth the investment.  We ended up getting Rogers cable partially because we didn't really feel like we had any other good option (funny how Rogers seems to do that in internet, phone, cell-phones, etc.).  In our neighborhood, Bell just started offering service about a week ago so it wasn't an option when we moved.  We debated getting US satellite service, but decided it sounded like too much of a pain and we worried that we wouldn't have customer service here, not to mention it is illegal.  To my knowledge there is no Fios type option in Toronto as of now.  I know one company is available in Alberta and BC but not here yet.


Surprise, surprise - cable is expensive!  HD service isn't available with the basic service, so we got the package just above basic - funny how they get you on that!  Including taxes we pay $83/month including our box with no "special channels" like HBO (then we added the Sunday Ticket package which is more, but includes access to all baseball, football, etc.).  Movies on demand are $8.  We get a lot of US channels here including your standard cable channels like CNN, Food Network, History, etc, and also network channels from the east ABC/NBC, etc.

One key learning I had from the Rogers installation: they call the phone number you have on file when they are on their way over, if you don't answer, they cancel your appointment - they do not come to your door.  I found this out the hard way after waiting for the three hour time span, I looked at the phone, and they had called 10 minutes earlier.  I tried to call back but no one answered.  I finally got the driver but he told me there was nothing he could do and to call Rogers customer service to reschedule.  I was pretty angry so it was good that the guy at Rogers was really polite.  It never occurred to me that sitting at home waiting by my door for the bell to ring for three hours wasn't sufficient, and they don't tell you this when you book your appointment (common practice in Canada?).

One other thing I found interesting, but possibly a good example of Canadian bureaucracy:  A week or so after installation, Rogers sends someone to inspect the installation to make sure it was done right.  I'm not sure how I feel about this.  On one hand if I had an issue, I'd probably be supportive but since I haven't, I feel like it is a waste of money to pay someone to come out here to check-up.  My preference would be to just train your installers to be self sufficient?

So far, (it sort-of pains me to say this in favor of Rogers) besides the cost and the hiccup during installation, we haven't had any issues with the Rogers experience.

1 comment:

  1. Hey, just left you a VM, I log in and read your blogs daily. Id like to talk, dont feel like you have to get involved, VALUE your input.

    Tell Matt hello, hope all is well.

    Miss you guys
    -M-

    ReplyDelete