When I go to buy fish (or basically anything really) I want there to be a good selection of sustainably raised options, I want the selections to be fresh, and I want the person working to be knowledgeable on the options. Pisces Gourmet has this and much more! This is a fantastic fish shop on Yonge at the Shops of Summerhill, in Rosedale, and so far is the best place I've found to buy fish in Toronto.
I've been to Pisces twice. The first time, I called on a Sunday afternoon to ask their hours, and they were closing in 1/2 hour. So, he asked if he could put something aside for me as they were starting to clean up. I asked what was fresh, and he suggested the halibut (someone should have told me this is expensive fish, and maybe that is why he recommend it) so I went with his recommendation. It was ready when I arrived, but it was $21/lb - but they give you a free lemon (random, but I like it!). We grilled the halibut with some olive oil, and it was one of the best fish and definitely the best halibut I've ever had.
After my positive customer service experience, the nice store ambiance and extensive selection, and the fantastic fish, I decided to try it again. This time I went with the wild BC salmon with a bright pink color which was around $18/lb. Again we grilled it, and my mother-in-law couldn't stop raving about the salmon - I couldn't really either. It was fantastic, and has me hooked on Pisces. Their prices are a little on the high side, but definitely within reason for what you get.
No comments:
Post a Comment